Sunday, August 10, 2008

My job stinks!... yes, I am complaining

I had a slight melt down at work the other day-- but before I go into that let me give you a couple details.

I have worked a part time job at a restaurant near my house since the restaurant opened. Waitressing; tips paid my car insurance and tuition for four years in college.

I went to Chile for six months and when I came back- of course- my position had been filled and any available positions had a waiting line... except for prep- cook on Saturdays. They offered it to me and I said, "I'll try it but if I hate it I'm quitting."

Three weeks of prep cooking (which is a fancy word for pot washer and bacon cooker) and I hate it!!! I spend most of the day leaning over a huge sink full of soapy, greasy water and even greasier pots and pans. Greasy steam wafts in my face making a thick layer of yuckiness. The other parts of the day I cook pounds and pounds of bacon. There is a permanent cloud of bacon grease in my side of the kitchen.

In short, it is a brainless, messy, tiring job. Hence my melt down. I had my rubber gloved hands deep in nasty water fishing around for what was left at the bottom of the sink and I thought, "Did I really go through four years of college to be a potwasher? It would have been alot cheaper to skip college if this was going to be my destiny. What in the world am I doing here!" I started to cry (only started and forgive me I am female) I know I am better than this job. Why don't I just quit and find a job that I can actually use my brain for? But, as I write this I realize- "He is teaching me humility."

an ipod is the only thing standing between me and insanity back there washing pots

The kitchen was definately designed for a short person. There is a metal shelf jutting out above the sink right at forehead level. I have been blessed with many lumps and bruises thanks to this shelf.

I sneezed all day long, I may claim that due to medical conditions (being my obvious allergy to grease) I can no longer do that job.

...Should I quit?

love to all!
Lizzi

1 comment:

Karen Heald said...

so how do those kindergardeners look now . . . ? :-)