Sunday, November 8, 2009

Memories

A year and a half ago my best friend, with whom I shared a tiny apartment in Santiago, Chile; and I would get up on Saturday mornings and make banana pancakes. Whether at 8am or noon (she preferred noon and I, eight) we had banana pancakes to celebrate our one morning off.

Now we live in different houses in different states doing different jobs. We planned to relive an old memory and once again meet for breakfast and make banana pancakes.

I arrived at her house hungry enough to eat a dozen banana flecked pancakes only to find that she did not have bananas. We had strawberry and chocolate chip pancakes (which I enjoyed much more), made with bisquick (which we definitely did not use in Chile.) We also used Aunt Jemima syrup which has to be imported in the grocery stores in Santiago and costs about $8 a bottle.

After pancakes we baked a cake, a beautiful, four layer whipped filling and strawberry masterpiece; another thing we did not find possible in Chile as their cocoa made chocolate cake taste more like brown bread. Finally we looked at wedding books (she is hoping to have a wedding sometime soon) and chatted about jobs and boyfriends and such.


So, In short, We planned to relive a memory, but, instead- We Made a New One!
Which makes me realize traipsing about the world isn't essential in making unforgettable moments.

Love to all!
Lizzi

3 comments:

Glen Goffin said...

Funny how much joy there is in sharing precious little memories with good friends. I think God loves sharing the little things with us the same way. Peace

Elizabeth J. said...

Hi Lizzi, I noticed your comment on my blog and wanted to say thanks! Stop back by any time!!!

~Elizabeth J.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for rejoicing with us today!