Monday, November 23, 2009

Who I am

I have been looking for a new job since May. That is 6 1/2 months! (But, hey, who's counting?!) There are many reasons why; normal ones, annoying ones, but The main reason is that I feel like a big girl needs a big girl job.

I am 24, and still a waitress. Yes, I graduated from college. Yes, I am skilled at many other things but, I am your loser waitress who is stressing her head off trying to make you happy with the greasy food.

Then...lately, I've begun to think deeper about it all. I've been applying to (more recently) four or five different positions a week and, in 6 months two people have called me back. Maybe, God doesn't want me to have a different job right now. Maybe He's trying to teach me something through all of this.

I have been defining myself by the part time job I hold; "I'm just a waitress." "No, that's not what I went to school for but- 'it is what it is'!"

How could I have been selling myself short for so long? I am not "just" a waitress. I just waitress to pay the bills! What I am doing- what I love doing- what I went to school for- is serving as much as I can in my church.

I will teach anything they need me to teach.
I will plan and operate teen activities.
I will edit the newsletter.
I will write and direct the Christmas play.
I will do that and more because it is what my Savior has called me to do.

So, from now on, ask me what I do.
"I am a servant of Christ. And, I love (almost) every minute of it!"

Love to all!
Lizzi

1 comment:

Lizzi said...

Getting a "big girl job" to meet your needs and provide for yourself now and for the future is wise and admirable. I am happy to see that you recognize that you ARE using your talents and training but,don't sell your current paying position short. Serving others, being a bright spot in someones day, encouraging, maybe sympathizing, being a light,a friend to adult and child alike is a high calling. Remember "For I was hungry, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: ........Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? .......And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Mt 25:35, 38, 40)

Poppop